23 April 2012

Dear Jane Quilt

Choosing next month's project to finish has been a bit tricky as I'm running out of those that were almost complete and just needed a couple of hours left to work on.  Already I'm looking at a couple of things thinking "Gosh, can I complete that before the end of May?"


But the one that I have decided will get all my attention over the next few weeks, and will hopefully be completed and signed off, will be my Dear Jane [dolly-sized] quilt.  I learned an invaluable lesson a number of years ago that life is too short to waste reading a dull book.  I would persevere with it, hoping against hope that it would become something it never did, so now I put the book aside and choose again, and so to quilts ... 

I had such good intentions of making this stunning quilt when I started it in 2008.  It was made by Jane Stickle in 1863 and consists of 169 blocks plus the intricate border of triangles.  It is a mammoth task to say the least!!


When I reached 11 completed blocks I felt that I had bitten off more than I was keen to chew and so it has sat, neglected for all this time, and when I look at it I feel that I have failed.  So rather than perservering with a project that has sadly lost my interest I have decided to turn those 11 lovely, but lonely blocks into a dolly sized quilt.  Brilliant decision!!

For my little Dear Jane dolly sized quilt I will need a total of 16 blocks.  Feels better already.  Not 158 blocks to complete, but only 5.  This is achievable!!  Of those five blocks I have already started two of them, chosen the remaining three from the book, by Brenda Papadakis, and chosen the fabrics, so really this is almost done!!



I'm already picturing a lovely tatty, old, little suitcase filled with dolly quilts.
What do you do with projects that have lost your interest?

Have a fabulous day,
Trudy

3 comments:

  1. I have some Dear Jane blocks too! It is oh so pretty. But I do agree - a dolly quilt is just the perfect idea as is the tatty old suitcase. What to do with uninspired unfinished projects - stuff them into the sewing shed to percolate - I cannot discard anything in less than 5 years and you never know - I might like it again by then. If not, off to the Salvos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its gonna look stunning when you have finished it, cant wait to see the end result.
    Pixie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I get bored with something, I either salvage the parts or ditch it at the thrift store. Or finish it anyway and then give it to somebody who cares...

    Whoa, I want a suitcase full of doll quilts, too! Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a message!!
I love reading what you have to say : -)