09 February 2012

Charleston Inspired

Charleston was the home of Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant, and a meeting place for the writers, painters and intellectuals known as the Bloomsbury group.  It sits in Sussex, England, and I had the joy of visiting there a number of years ago.


Every corner of the house oozes with examples of the decorative art of the Bloomsbury artists.  There are murals on doors and walls, painted furniture, textiles and ceramics.  All of which was fabulous and I was in my element!!


After visiting Charleston, I came home with visions of painting my own walls in some variation of their decorative style, but somewhere along the way I fell in love with China White, and also I completely lost my nerve.


I also came home from Charleston with two treasured pieces, one a beautiful linen top in a soft orange colour (which is currently hanging on the outside of my wardrobe as an incentive to minus out a few nasties from my diet and therefore fit into it again!), the other is a pottery jug.

I adore the colours and patterns on this jug and have been inspired to create a small applique stitchery, which will form part of a dolly-sized quilt.

While I didn't paint my walls, I did find inspiration from the little jug I purchased at Charleston which will always trigger memories of that wonderful day spent mooching through the house.
Have a lovely day.
Trudy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving me a message!!
I love reading what you have to say : -)